The Rockport Journal, January 25, 1935

Article was typed as it was worded in the newspaper.

Donations For Pioneer Village Continue To Come

Organizations, committees and individuals are interested in the building of the Lincoln Pioneer Village in the Rockport City Park and a great impetus has been given the work.

The newspapers of the county are giving their valuable space to the cause and all organizations concerned appreciate this fine spirit of the editors.

Money donations and donations of material have been made by many. George Honig has worked unceasingly without one cent of pay in this civic undertaking.

To Henry Hoch goes the honor of donating the first log cabin and hauling the same to the park. To Frank Stewart and family the honor of the first personal contribution in the sum of $10.

The Methodist Ladies Aid is the first and only organization up to date to make a contribution without being solicited. Such civic pride as they have shown is much appreciated by the committees in charge.

Logs have been donated for cabins by William N. Richard, 5 acres; Eva Stevenson, 10 acres; James Ellis, 7 acres; Julius Taylor, 5 acres; Robert Richards, 1 large log, 5 ft. in diameter; Louis Eigenman has given the right of way in hauling logs over his land; Bedford-Nugent Co. has donated sand and gravel for the project, and James Rimstidt a flag for the blockhouse.

There have been 2,671 logs hauled to the park for the work up to date.

Clubs and organizations that have given money thus far are: Woman’s Club $10, Literary Club $3, Music Club $3, Kiwanis $5, Garden Club $2, Presbyterian church $5, Spencer County Historical Society $5, M. E. Ladies Aid $5.

A further list of contributions will be published from week to week. Pat Axton, Sr., is treasurer of the entire project, and receives all contributions.

It is the plan to have the opening and dedication of the Lincoln Pioneer Village on July 4th.